Wednesday 21 October 2015

Dartmoor Autumn

Dartmoor Sunset

We have had such a wonderful Indian summer, but now strong winds and swirling mists and evenings that are drawing in ever earlier have signalled that Winter is fast closing in. I have begun to light my wood-burner in the evenings now, a sure sign that the weather is getting colder.

For me however, I don't face the prospect of a long winter, because I am like a swallow(!) and migrate every year to the southern hemisphere - to the land of my childhood, Australia (and have been following with unapologetic enthusiasm the Rugby World Cup - Advance Australia Fair!)
In common with hundreds of grandparents in the UK who have a member of their family living there, my younger daughter now lives in Sydney with her husband and two children. In the strange twists of Fate they are living within five streets from where I lived, and my grandchildren swim in the same open air swimming baths where my sister and I learned to swim, although the old wooden changing rooms have long gone, and it is called The Enclosure.

There is a substantial migration in December every year when people who have family living in Australia go. The attractions are obvious - you escape, for a time, the winter; it is summer in Australia and it coincides with the end of the school year and the start of the long summer holiday; and obviously most working people have at least two weeks off work at Christmas. Of course there are drawbacks  - if you don't wish to stay, or it is not possible to stay with your relatives the cost of renting in Australia, especially Sydney, is very expensive. There are places advertised for (usually) grandparents to rent, and if anyone would like more details I can post them on next week's Under Dartmoor Skies blog.

Also, if you are travelling on your own, as I am, and think the journey is too daunting - because there is no denying it, it IS a long way and it is a LONG journey - please do not let this fact deter you. I have undertaken this journey many times, and have never experienced a problem ... watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment